Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

This Wilco album is growing on me. They've got their own sound, the Pavement I noted before leavened with Moody Blues and Steely Dan, and it's not always my sound. But on balance it's pretty solid. And Tweedy is a real songwriter.

Driving with the family last weeked, I'm hearing these lyrics "Tall buildings shake, voices escape singing sad sad songs... skyscrapers scraping together, last cigarette is all you can get". And I just started losing it, having a mild panic attack thinking about the jumpers. I think it's emblematic of the fact that there's so little real popular art about 9/11. Sure, lots of pious documentaries about firefighters and architects and whatnot, and there are lots of clever and ironic pictorial juxtapositions of towers and this or that, but very few songs, movies, or works of fiction that I know of. I mean, it's only the defining event of a generation. [Or it was, until Bush fucked up so royally (pun intended) with Iraq]. We've come to terms with representing the Holocaust, but not 9/11.

No comments: