Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Trip to the mall

I made a rare appearance at the mall yesterday, being in need of respectable looking casual clothes to wear to social events so as to reflect well upon and please the eye of Mary. The black jeans I took through Moscow in 97-98 with holes in the crotch somehow weren't making it.

Once I hit the mall, I fell quickly into strutting and swaggering mode, what with all the high-schoolers around setting the tone. The best clump of them was a mixed-race, totally stoned bunch of 4 in all kinds of baggie whatnot coming through Lord & Taylors. I think they were looking for ascots.

It's hard to shop when you have no particular image you want to project. Who am I supposed to be in my off hours these days? I have no frame of reference. This didn't used to be a problem. Now most of the time I see people in suits, so ties and shirts for the office are easier. I know what I want to look like there. But casual shoes? I don't want to look unhip, but all the hip shoes look like something out of a Japanese comic books.

I left the mall with a tie and some black socks. All on sale at Macy's.

Why is there a booth selling tub backsplashes for at the mall? It doesn't seem like a big walkby item. Must be a front for Al Qaeda.

Stopped to by the sick Natalie a glow-in-the-dark necklace from a quarter machine by the door. Homies (www.homies.tv) are also on sale. I was shocked when I first saw these caricaturish little guys and gals in the bathroom by the food court in the Lincoln, Nebraska, mall. I thought it was a toy for redneck kids. Now I see that it's a respectable groove in the ghetto. Wierd.

No comments: