Saturday, October 21, 2023

The problem of the highlight reel

Participated in a doubles tournament this morning and did fine. I won some, I lost some. The winner of the tournament will represent the club in some spring competition, which I didn't realize when I signed up. I don't really want to play that much doubles.

The really good doubles players seem to place a premium on consistency and keeping the ball in play unless there is a clear opportunity for a winner. I see the wisdom in that. But it is pretty boring. I like to hit shots that make me feel like the man, shots that I can replay for myself internally when my head is on the pillow at night and look be enveloped with warmth. To do that I have to take some risks.

In singles it's just my risk and it hurts only me. In doubles it impacts someone else. Which is a pretty strong disincentive to playing a lot of doubles.

No comments: