Sunday, October 29, 2023

The bustle of falling leaves

It's easy to forget the way things accelerate as the weather gets cooler and the colors change. It's the perfect time to be outside and everybody wants to get together, resulting in a need for choices.


Yesterday I hosted a 40th reunion of our state championship soccer team out in the park behind my house. It was pretty well attended, maybe 22 people there including a few spouses and girlfriends. I also tried to invite people from surrounding years but only a few people showed up, which was a shame.

In any case, operating under the theory that you never know you have enough food unless you have too much, I ordered seven large pizzas. I actually meant to order eight but accidentally ordered only one of one of the variants because I was rushing to get everything set up. Which turned out to be a blessing, because when the dust cleared at the end of the event, there were four and a half pizzas left. I gave one to Warren, who was headed back to Raleigh, because I was a little embarrassed, was concerned that Mary might upbraid me for my profligacy and also wasn't sure I could fit that much in the fridge.

So tonight I have invited over a bunch more people to help us eat the leftover pizza. Which means we have to clean the house. Which is pressure we really don't need because Mary has to host the local Autism Society fall event in the park and our house is kind of in disarray because we are getting ready to have people come in to build us some bookshelves in the rec room and closets in the upstairs study, all in preparation for our December 12 fundraiser for Josh.

All this on top of having dinner out on the lake with Ken and Ellen on Friday night and then going to a fundraiser at Daniel and Andrea's last night for the Transplanting Traditions Community Farm. All of which meant that I for sure did not make it to any of the CHHS '83 40th reunion events, though I had kind of intended to.

I had better go downstairs and help Mary clean up.

No comments: