Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Near miss

On the way out to a fundraiser for Josh out West of town, Niklaus, Mary and I were cruising along Hillsborough Rd headed out of Carrboro when something moved in my peripheral vision off to my left and Niklaus started and gesticulated. I slammed on my breaks as a large dear went sailing over the front of my car. There was a light thump. 

I screeched to a complete stop as the remains of a small herd of deer crossed the road. My Prius battery got a good little charge. We continued on our way to the pretty well-attended function, where the food could have been better. Josh was in fine form.

When we looked at the car later there was just the faintest of dents. Over the years it has seemed like the deer have gotten a lot smarter about when to cross the road and when not to, but this specific herd apparently has not gotten that memo. I am happy not to have been the one to deliver it. 

No comments: