Sunday, August 13, 2023

The end of summer

On Wednesday we drop Graham at his dorm in the morning and then head to the airport to fly to Paris in the evening. Summer's coming to an end. As per usual we have mixed feelings.

At tennis I was beset once more by inner demons, briefly overcoming them to battle back from being down 2-5 to force a tiebreaker, then collapsing after being up 4-2 in the tiebreaker before a couple of double faults opened the door for Z to shut me down. I guess I have to give myself credit for the initial comeback.

When I got home a little after 11 Graham still hadn't eaten anything and I tried to nudge him to do so in a somewhat timely fashion so he could get in three meals for the day, pursuant to his goal of adding some body mass. He pushed back. Something like "If we were to accept that that was a goal the more important thing would be for me to eat on my own schedule." He was having none of this pushy dad stuff. I suppose it is good for this nearly 20-year old young man to be resisting his dad's pressure so as to own his goals and itinerary. Still, it would be good for him to bulk up a little bit. In any case, he's headed back up on campus soon and it's probably for the best. He doesn't need me all up in his business and cramping his style.

No comments: