Friday, August 18, 2023

Table tennis store -- Faubourg Montmartre

Out for a stroll day one in Paris from our hotel near Gare de L'est, looped down Boulevard Sebastopole to Boulevard de Bonne Nouvelle then wound around some back streets and ended up near the Bourse before turning back. We passed through what turns out to have been Faubourg Montmartre, home to a ton of different Asian restaurants including a Kurdish one and even a little stall that was selling Piroshki. I got a chicken one, which was very fresh. I had a hard time disentangling the Russian word for chicken from the French "poulet" when ordering in Russian. 


While passing by a small store that I first thought was a sporting goods store, judging by shoes in the window. Then I noticed a broad array of ping pong paddles in the window and realized that the store was entirely devoted to table tennis gear and thus that all the shoes had been table tennis shoes. The proprietor was determinedly sweeping dust off the ledge out front before closing the grates for the night. Gotta love cities. It reminded me of the pleasure of passing a small chess store in Queretaro, Mexico when mom and I were there in 2019, or of happening into the quinceneara district there, full of row upon row of brightly colored dresses for the coming of age party. 

Later we had dinner with Mary's friend Laura Lieblein the the Marais and before headed home walked around Place des Vosges, one of my very favorite squares anywhere. Laura took a pic of me and Mary, who even smiled for the occasion.



No comments: