Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Ready for lift off?

I awoke early this morning, which should surprise few. Today we drop Graham in his dorm first thing in the morning and then fly first to Charlotte -- the Queen city, some say -- and thence to Paris. Actually, I was already awake and likely not headed back to sleep but this was aided and abetted by a text from our AG and future governor informing me and another couple who will be staying with us that our Airbnb is best reached using Apple rather than Google maps. People don't understand the man's ability to wrangle details and manage teams.

But mostly I was awake early with the bittersweetness of the day: taking Graham back to UNC -- which is really where he belongs of course but it was nice having him on loan for the summer -- then jetting off into empty nesting in earnest. With George Jr now properly laid to rest -- and barring any utterly unforeseen health events in one of our families -- we are on to the nest. 

In the past week Mary was getting organized to take another trip to Alaska with her big camera with the express purpose of taking serious pictures in the places she snapped using her iPhone in June. While part of me wishes she could see that it's perhaps not exactly Alaska but the novelty of being in a new environment which was opening her eyes to new possibilities, it will also be good for her to go out on a new adventure by herself and as a bonus she and Natalie will also get some quality time without me (though hopefully not so much as to cramp Natalie's Juneau style). In any case, the trip is booked.

I myself have been looking at some fall conferences to keep sharpening my professional blade. As for now, time to get on with the day.

No comments: