Friday, August 11, 2023

New phone

Picked up a new phone for the first time in six years yesterday. My old Motorola had served me well and had survived some health scares, but I was tired of needing to manage the data on the phone and since %G does kind of exist in some places, or so we're told, I figured it was time to join the new era. The people at the store were kind enough to give me one of last year's Samsungs for free for my coming in to the store and letting them incrementally upsell me on a data plan, thereby clearing their shelves of inventory. Works for me.

There will be a lot of work in updating logins and whatnot for this phone, no doubt. As each generation of functionality migrates to the cloud there is more and more. Such is the cost of admission to modernity.

Yesterday evening I visited with a greatly beloved client couple. The husband said that he had needed to change carriers a few years back because the old one no longer supported flip phones. He barely checks email. If I need to find him during a given work day, I need to call him on the land line at his work or go by his shop, where I know he will be under the hood or chassis of some old and rarish car. There's something to this way of life, though there are downsides as well which it wouldn't be appropriate to discuss here on the blog.

No comments: