Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Quite a dream

Last night I had such a doozy of a dream I have to just capture as much as possible of it. 

There were rooms in our house, particularly a semi-formal living room but also maybe a dining room, which were completely unrenovated and unrestyled since the sixties. The living room in particular was rather mod and had very cool wallpaper and we were all kind of marveling at it, though it was stuffy and the furniture uncomfortable.

There were possums coming into the house and I saw there was a rip in the screen door where they could get in. That was initially pretty shocking but then I saw they were kind of frolicking with the cats so it didn't seem all bad and I couldn't deal with it just then because I had guests.

There was a somewhat racist portion of my dream. I saw that a BMW was going up the path next to our house where there are bikers and walkers/runners all the time in waking life. I was going outside to register my disapproval when the car turned left off the path and started driving across my lawn, which really pissed me off, so I started yelling at them. The windows to the beemer rolled down and I could see the car was full of black guys, one of whom pointed a gun at me. Somehow I got out of it.*

There was also an area in the yard which was small bluffs overlooking a slightly swampy area. People were pulling down there in cars and trucks and I had to periodically go down there and tell them to get out of our yard.

Clearly a lot of this has to do with living near the lake and the lake parking area, and I suppose living in the house where I grew up.

Arghhh! Had been thinking of working from home today before heading to NYC tomorrow for Eric's brother David's shiva, but now a contractor across the street has fired up what seems to be a power washer to wash our neighbor's driveway and maybe even their house. Oh, the suburbs and their noise. Gotta head to the office for my 10 am call.


*It doesn't shock me that there are racist elements in my dream. We all have racist tendencies -- indeed how could we not given the stereotypes we are fed in the media and the actual lived experience of living in a largely segregated society with large wealth disparities -- which we have to fight individually and as a society.

No comments: