Monday, April 17, 2023

Progress?

It ended up being a typical weekend in that I balanced getting some things done (cleaned out plastic tub of office stuff that had been under my desk for six months, finalized booking of most of trip to Alaska/Seattle, harvested and flipped compost pile, took load of stuff to thrift store) with reading my book and exercising. Indeed, yesterday was so very beautiful that when I made my thrift store run at around 5, it more or less forced me to get out on my bike for the first proper ride of the year, which took me out past Calvander a couple of miles along Dairyland, at which point in time my hamstrings offered up some light yelps which reminded me that it was very much the first ride of the year. Meanwhile, Mary has actually been getting organized to take some art to get it framed, which would allow us to hang some art in the main part of our house, which Marvin finished painting back in January.

The question is, of course, does any of this constitute progress? After nearly twenty years of writing about my life as I flow through it, I'd have to say no. This is all just life.

What might constitute progress is recognizing the things that were difficult in earlier transitions -- the challenges Rob and to a lesser extent Beth and Mary had cleaning out 2 Circle or mom had when she was moving herself and David out of their house on Iris Lane -- and trying to get out ahead of by culling early. We have a long way to go, by the by. Still tons of stuff and, yes, books. Or to follow the example of Robert, who called up Carol Woods and put himself on the very long waiting list right when his mom passed away. I put that on my task list for the day.

No comments: