Saturday, April 22, 2023

Ongoing curation

Something came in the mail yesterday from Laura in Chicago. It seemed natural to assume that it was for Mary, since Laura is after all Mary's close friend from graduate school. But Mary had left it for me to open. Turns out it was a small print, one of four I can expect from the other members this group which has dubbed itself "The Birthday Club" for its decades' long adherence to regular gatherings for significant birthdays and to crit each others work. They decided to give me small prints for taking on the financing and administrative duties of a project to raise money for a proposed book of their work.


This may solve the problem of some blank spots on the wall in my study in need of some art-bolstering, or maybe they'll end up on the wall in my office next to my Joel Bergquist painting, something I picked up at a UNC art auction and a plaque a tire manufacturer gave my mom's dad in 1958 for 22 years of partnership. BTW getting Laura's little piece reminded me of a couple of etchings in the style of Durer that Jonathan Frank gave me back the mid-80s. Where the hell are those? They travelled with me for years.

Also this week, my dad's second wife Laura dropped off a last box of stuff of my dad's she had found in some dusty corner, including his dad's high school yearbooks or something like that. I need to go through all of that.

I culled a bunch of shirts and also pants and wire hangers from my closet to take the thrift store. I figure I don't need 9 pairs of chinos and the like if all I wear is jeans and sweatpants and then suits for funerals.

And so the great process of curation continues. 

No comments: