Saturday, April 15, 2023

Attacking problems early

In the past I have often deferred starting pollen mitigation out on the porch until I think the season's almost over, reasoning that there's no reason to try to clean the stuff up if it will just keep coming. This year I started early, motivated initially -- as I may well have written already -- by Graham getting COVID  a few weeks back. I wanted us all to be able to eat out there as a family.

Today I decided to sweep a channel clear first to where I like to sit while I eat my lunch. Later I was going to sweep a little more to move a comfortable outdoor reading chair into a traditional afternoon coffee reading spot. While doing so I realized that the high humidity was making the pollen clump up a lot as opposed to drifting in the breeze and that if I went at it I'd be able to get a lot more of it up then I would if I waited for a drier moment. So I swept the whole porch to a moderate degree of cleanliness. Yes there will be more pollen. But for the time being, I got a lot done.

There is something to this in general. If you pick your moments and attack a problem when the time is right, you can make disproportionate and unexpected progress. It's all about knowing when to get started, which is not always easy.

No comments: