Saturday, March 25, 2023

The Rites of Spring

Graham was feeling poorly up on campus on Wednesday, fever, sore throat, etc. So we brought him home. He tested negative for COVID on a home test, so we assumed it was something else. Then his econ professor said Graham needed proof that he had been seen by a medical professional. So he went to Student Health and... a PCR test showed that he did in fact have COVID. 

Thankfully we had been largely careful with him. He had more or less stayed in his room. 

It became immediately clear that it was time to attack the first round of pollen out of on the deck so we could eat out there. On the one hand, it seems early to go after the pollen. We have so much more to go. But even before that it forced me to bring in the last fire's worth of kindling and wood and set it up in the fireplace so we are ready to go for one more fire. 

Then I attacked the pollen in earnest in my traditional Pareto way: I know I'm not getting all of it, but I can get most of it. And also the cobwebs that our cat Leon so likes to munch and that Mary swears up and down must be the reason for bouts of feline nausea. It really doesn't matter whether she's right or not. She strongly believes it, so I have to get the cobwebs for household harmony.

Over the years I have gotten better at mitigating the pollen. What's more, I've come to enjoy the ongoing sweeping regimen in my Italian shopkeeper way. I know that it's an evergreen problem that will only stop being so when the trees cease and desist, but just engaging in the act of keeping it down to a dull roar brings some comfort.

To truly transition from winter into spring I feel like I should also take the pictures of peoples' kids down from the fridge, but I am resisting it. I like seeing the kids' faces, especially first thing in the morning. Pretty sure this is a life phase thing. I find seeing them very motivating, especially vis-a-vis the whole work thing, even though they're not my kids.

No comments: