Thursday, March 23, 2023

The full embrace of the Bible

Tim, the husband of my cousin Neva, has been fighting a blood cancer for two and a half years now. He's gone through not one but two bone marrow transplants. Throughout it, on an almost daily basis, Neva has been sharing and journaling his journey on CaringBridge. I've tried to read as often as I can. Recently things have been trending positive. Their spirits have been sustained throughout by their own steadfast Christian faith and that of most of their community.

After a day of very welcome very good news I commented something along the lines of "fingers crossed" that things kept heading in the right direction, and as I did it I was immediately aware that this was an essentially pagan or superstitious turn of the tongue, so I scrolled down to see what others had said. I was the only one who had not made reference to God or Christ. Mostly God. In other words, I was interpreting this as a random event, whereas most of their community were treating as planned and/or divinely ordained.

As I read through the Bible (I am now in Job), I am struck by how vast and complex the whole thing is and how it could easily merit a second reading, indeed how one could study it one's whole life, as many do. I can also imagine how shared dialogue around the Bible amongst people of good intent could serve as the grounds for a lot of ethical behavior and community.

But then there are so many other books out there, including the foundational texts of other religions. On balance a preference for the Bible as the primary grounds for most knowledge of and engagement with the world has not made for a lot of growth or movement forward in history. I will, in any case, keep reading.

No comments: