Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Back East

It was a grind of a trip home. On Sunday, after getting to the airport early so as to ride with my friend Dave out there and sitting around for several hours, my flight was cancelled. In fact, almost all flights were cancelled. So everyone scurried off to nearby hotels with the help of some very enterprising and competent shuttle van services. You could tell this wasn't their first rodeo.

Instead of going to Steamboat where even modest hotel rooms went for $400 and up, I and a bunch of other people hustled west to Craig, a small town with a number of hotels, including my go to the Hampton Inn. Unfortunately, the snow kept coming down and the only option was food via DoorDash, so Dave (whose flight was also cancelled) and I enjoyed a repast of KFC at 5:30 -- so early because it seemed like the snow might shut down what little food service there was. Right when I was ordering it appeared on DoorDash that McDonalds had closed, which freaked me out a little. For a moment I was thrust back in time to August 2003 and the great Northeast blackout, when I found myself in Albany in a hotel with no power and little food and was freaking out a little with residual 9/11 anxiety (everyone was).

After our KFC feast I watched Casablanca for the first time (somehow) and turned off my light by 9pm in anticipation of the 5 am shuttle back to the airport. It wasn't that hard because everything outside was dark and snowy and obscure. Good sleeping.

Yesterday I made my way home through Dallas without incident. Dinner was the last breast of KFC (I had ordered extra because we didn't know if Eric would make it out to Chicago) on an English muffin and some salad. Delish.

No comments: