Tuesday, March 28, 2023

One or many clients

Late last week I discovered that, caught up in the drama around George Jr's last days and also my trip to Colorado, I had lost the thread on something for a client. Nothing particularly time-sensitive, by the way, pertaining to a goal a number of years in the future and doing some tax-advantageous things towards reaching it. But I had forgotten about it, no doubt about that.

Yesterday I discovered it at the top of my task list, but I also had a bunch of work to do on something of benefit to all of my and our firm's clients, a deeper forward-looking fixed income framework. So I had to decide what to focus on: the one or the many? For the short term I chose the many and put my back into fixed income.

My life often looks like this. Choosing between one or many clients. Of course, the dynamic is not that simple, because digging into the particulars of a given client's situation often adds insight that can be applied to multiple others. The relationship seems deeply dialectical. 

No comments: