Sunday, January 08, 2023

The Swarm

After tennis yesterday I went to Whole Foods to pick up some stuff for dinner. The place was bombed out. There was virtually no lettuce, absolutely no scallions, no loose yellow onions (only five-pound bags), and a bunch of other veggies were likewise in low supply. I theorized that it was because everyone was coming back to UNC but Mary wasn't buying it, refusing to accept that college students would 1. be shopping at Whole Foods and 2. be buying that much lettuce.

This afternoon after dropping Graham at his dorm I went to Harris Teeter to get some other stuff. It wasn't as fully shopped out as Whole Foods, but it was low on some stuff and there were an awful lot of college students in there. As I came around one corner some young ladies shrieked "Oh my God!" in unison and smothered one another in sororal hugs. It was back to school time indeed.

I must say that it feels nice, after living half of my life in this town, to actually feel in rhythm and close contact with the universe. Certainly we've always noted the ebbs and flows of the students, appreciating both the energy when they are here and how much easier it is to do things -- especially uptown -- when they're not. But now we are much more in it.

No comments: