Monday, January 16, 2023

Quiet celebration -- MLKJ Day

A quick blog search shows that I have reflected on the nature of the Martin Luther King Jr holiday a number of times. Generally my sentiment has been that it is undercelebrated, but the fact is that after the quick succession of Thanksgiving, Christmas (or Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or Festivus...) and New Year's Day we have had quite enough celebrating. In many ways a key virtue of the holiday is that there are no expectations around it. No dinners or even cookouts or games. In this regard it is rivalled by only Presidents' Day and Veterans' Day -- though the latter has elections.

Mary and I just took down the Christmas tree. We may have been the last right around here to do so, but then again we were away for a week of its tenure and our cats do love it so, especially Leon, who likes to camp out behind it and drink its sweet sweet water. It's a Christmas miracle that he doesn't puke more, honestly. I think it's not the first time we've taken the tree down on Martin's day.

So today I am reading my mystery novel and, if I get energetic, going to Raleigh to exchange some tennis shoes I ordered through the mail but ended up, quite mysteriously, being small.


No comments: