Friday, January 27, 2023

Headed East

Mary and I are headed East to Hyde County and Lake Mattamuskeet where she wants to take some pictures. Should be interesting. It's a pretty sparsely populated place. There are about 4500 residents of the whole county, which encompasses Ocracoke, down from about 9,000 sometime in the 19th century. The county seat, where we are staying, is Swan Quarter, a town so small it doesn't have a restaurant that serves dinner. There are two schools, one on Ocracoke, one on the mainland. Each of them serves K-12. Mom says it's really beautiful. I'll report back.

In other news, I have a new laptop, an LG. Consumer Reports said only LG among makers of Windows machines rivalled Apple for reliability over time and customer satisfaction. It is marginally less slim and sexy than the Dell it replaces, but then again it has USB and HDMI ports as opposed to trying to jam all peripherals in through USB-C ones, which makes you go out and buy a fleet of adapters. I decided that buying a Dell would be all about vanity, which I am trying to dial back.

Right now I am having a problem running the local Outlook client, but that's a Microsoft problem and probably comes from running two instances of OneDrive -- one personal, one work -- on the computer. I'll sort it out next week. Outlook in a browser works fine as long as there's internet and if there's no internet, there's no email.

Meanwhile, Mary's iMac is having some disturbing issues of its own after she installed some RAM all by her lonesome, for which I am proud of her.

I apologize for all the IT news, but it was fit to print.


Oh yeah. Speaking of peripherals last night I was on a Google Hangout and it wasn't letting me use my external camera, so I was momentarily scorning Google. Then I figured out the external camera wasn't plugged in. Dooohhh!

No comments: