Monday, January 23, 2023

Getting in gear

Graham ended up staying at home for the weekend after coming back to get the Subaru to take Carolyn out for dinner and a movie on Friday. We were a little surprised he stayed, because he had seemed to have evolved into Mr Independent over the last few weeks, but we were happy to have him. I decided to make full use of him.


All my stuff from my old office -- my bookshelves, filing cabinet and boxes of business and finance books in particular -- had been clogging up our rec room since the end of September. I put Graham's growing muscles to work to get all of that out of the house and up to the office. This trip also provided the occasion for what Graham has historically termed a "son-father" experience (Who am I to correct him in the slightly unidiomatic formulation?). So we drove all the stuff up to my office and brought it upstairs late Saturday afternoon. I unboxed the books today, and I'm very happy to have all of them here and available for viewing and perusal.

After Graham and I had moved the shelves and boxes I hustled off to Li Ming's to grab some sweet niangao for Jonathan and Sharon's Chinese New Year's party on Sunday. The atmosphere at the store was super-festive, which was actually a little surprising because -- as Jonathan told me -- the night before New Year's is called Reunion Dinner and it's when Chinese families have their smaller, more intimate gatherings. So the store might well have been closed. As it was, I was at length able to find what I was looking for from some of the few and far between staff. At check out, everyone wished each other Happy New Year. The woman at the cashier asked if I wanted a calendar and I said "that's alright," knowing it wouldn't fit with our decor anywhere. She gave me one anyway.

No comments: