Friday, January 13, 2023

Lesson learned from computer work

Yesterday at the end of the day I picked up my laptop after leaving it to have its battery and keyboard replaced. The vendor took too long and didn't communicate well, which was frustrating. But the guy who owns the shop seems very nice and I'd like for him to succeed, so I'm not going to flame him.

Though I was a little agitated yesterday morning when the guy who answered the phone told me my repair was still not done (it was supposed to have been done the night before) and I was tempted to run out and buy a Chromebook so I'd have a backup device. I talked it over with Mary and in the end I came home from the office (more on my new office later), had lunch, and took her Chromebook back to the office for the afternoon, relegating her to the less comfortable chair in her studio with the iMac for afternoon computing. I was even able to plug my external monitor into Mary's device and it worked.

And I figured out what I needed to do rebuild my work desktop on her device. Everything was in the cloud, including both work and personal files -- in separate instances of Microsoft 365. I had all the passwords I needed in the password manager on my phone (for which I realize I need better backup -- including offline [a flash drive stored in our safe] in case the phone crashes or is lost). From this I realized that my firm needs to write up a procedure for this use case -- what to do to get up and running on a new or replacement computer or for a new employee.

But the most important lesson I learned -- or was reminded of -- was not getting bent out of shape about little bullshit, like some vendor taking much longer to do something than was promised. 


No comments: