Thursday, December 22, 2022

Skill vs luck in parenting

Graham went out to Linda's Bar for trivia night and got his traditional pink lemonade, which gave Mary and me a good chuckle, as it always does. At the age of 19 we were most certainly not getting pink lemonade at bars. To top it off, afterwards -- as I could tell by looking at his bank account transactions today -- he went to Insomnia Cookies, presumably for a warm chocolate chip one.

Mary and I often reflect on our good fortune as reflected in the children we have raised. Each of them has done well in school and, much more importantly, turned out to be a really fine young person.

Others are more likely to credit us with having done a good job to raise such nice kids. It is harder for the two of us to climb onto that wagon, though I must admit that we have both tried hard to do the footwork of being good parents: being home a lot, going on on family vacations, making the visiting of grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins integral to our way of life, etc. We've also striven to keep our tempers in check for the most part. Mary thinks I get bent out of shape when I am stuck in traffic and, while she is not altogether wrong, she doesn't understand how much better my temper is than my dad's, so I am a huge improvement on my baseline.

Of course, if I had truly done a better job raising Graham, he would have thought to buy his dad one of those delicious chocolate chip cookies last night at Insomnia. So there is clearly room for improvement.


No comments: