Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Kicking the girl off the plan

For the second time this year, I went through the whole Obamacare enrollment process, only this time I left Natalie off of our plan so that she can sign up for her own plan in Alaska. I had very mixed feelings about doing this. On the one hand, it's the right thing to do. Ain't nobody taking her insurance up there in Alaska. On the other... she's my little girl. I hate the feeling of excluding her from our household, although when I look at the IRS definition of what a dependent is for tax purposes, she just won't qualify starting next year. 

We had a brief conversation about some tax matters this afternoon, which was some good adulting for her. Aren't taxes paid in April? What is FICA? Are they withholding from my current paycheck? What is a deduction? How is that different from an exemption? My eyes quickly glazed over, but the sooner she learns the stuff, the better, in some very narrow sense. In another, I'd just as soon she remain ignorant of if a little while longer.

No comments: