Friday, June 10, 2022

Guy stalking Kavanaugh

Very depressed about the guy stalking Kavanaugh's house planning to kill him. Obviously I'm no fan of Brett Kavanaugh. I didn't know him in college, but those I know who did know him say he was totally an ass. And we disagree on questions of jurisprudence. But we don't go around trying to kill people on the basis of differences of opinion.

We all occasionally have fantasies. I actually briefly thought about stabbing McConnell with a big knife in a restaurant the other day. But we don't follow through on that kind of thinking. Probably my case is helped by the fact that McConnell and I likely have very different tastes in restaurants. Being from Kentucky, for example, I'm sure he has absolutely horrid taste in BBQ.

In debates about the legalization of marijuana I've seen discussions of heavy pot smoking by some of the recent shooters in mass shooting events. I think that line of thinking is not entirely baseless. We obviously both need more gun control and have a genuine mental health crisis and smoking lots of pot doesn't help one's mental health. The fact that alcohol is legal and also is in this mental health mix doesn't fully justify the legalization of weed. I don't know if this line of thinking seals the deal, but on balance I'm probably not pro-legalization. 

No comments: