Sunday, June 26, 2022

A surprise visit

Yesterday I basically did a good job of enjoying my personally-imposed shabbos and did little other than go to a meeting, bike, nap, eat and read. Towards the end of the day, however, I faltered, when I saw the handle that had fallen off of Graham's chest of drawers and realized I needed to try to reaffix it to its home. I'll spare you the gory details on that one.

But when I looked at Graham's room I saw that it was uncharacteristically and inexplicably neat. I made a mental note.

Sometime later, as the grill was heating up to do its own work, I came downstairs and saw Graham and a nice-looking young woman in the living room. Hmmm. "Dad, this is Jennifer (not her actual name)," said Graham. The two of them have now had perhaps as many as four planned meet-ups, one of which, as Graham was at pains to convey to her, he had considered "a date." Clearly progress is being made.

Graham showed her back to his room where, a little later, I espied them sitting cross-legged on the rug, with him showing her a book of some sort. Smooth move. We delayed dinner a bit but eventually she took off and we sat down to eat. Turns out, this little encounter had been pre-planned and Graham had not told us about it because he was concerned we might make him not just neaten up but also vacuum his room. Clever lad.

No comments: