Monday, July 12, 2021

Cross-generational fitness

Monday Monday. After a mildly disappointing weekend on the sports front (England lost, Djokovic won), it's back to the coal mine.

Had a lovely brunch with my high school soccer coach and history teacher yesterday. Afterwards, I had intended to go for a long bike ride, but realized before heading out that I in fact would be better off seeing if Graham came out with me. Often I have a twinge of guilt when I'm out on the road and I know that he's back at home, laying in a contorted position on his bed reading about something on his iPad. Not that I'm worried about what he's reading. He does a good job with his mind. What he needs to work on is his body.

So yesterday we headed out and were on our way to Carolina North when I remembered Niklaus telling me about the newish extension of the Bolin Creek Trail that goes up the hillside into the Northside community. So we doubled back and headed over to it, then biked around on campus before coming home via trails in Carrboro and Estes Extension. All told, 12 miles or so. 

Not a great workout for me but I really need to get over my fixation on my personal fitness and think more about the aggregate cross-generational fitness of my family. It's more important that I bring my kids into the realm of healthy habits then that I be super lean. Honestly, I can make other adjustments, like eating less or going for a swim afterwards. In principle. In practice it's easier to do one long workout then multiple small ones. And it's hard to eat less.

In the evening, I started a new book, a novel by one of Natalie's favorite young adult influencers, Hank Green, brother of John Green and co-host with him of the most excellent podcast "Dear Hank and John," as well as a host of other content channels on YouTube and elsewhere. Really good guys, and the book is fun, and it puts me on the same page with Natalie. 

No comments: