Friday, January 22, 2021

Work

I am definitely planning for 2021 to be a banner year for the Grouse, more posts, more interactive features, cash prizes, perhaps some 3D stuff. By all means keep your eyes posted here.

However, the exigencies of work are all too often imposing themselves on my writerly idyll. More money, more clients, new team members helping out, moving to new platforms... It all adds up.

So I beg your patience on those days on which I am unable to post.

It's worth mentioning that I recently plowed through For the Sake of Elena, the fifth in Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley series of mysteries -- all of which I have read during lockdown. Obviously, I like them. I like the fact that she has a set of characters -- no fewer than five of them, in fact, with some add ons (their parents and siblings) -- that develop over the course of the series, which adds a nifty dimension. Sometimes she goes a little long on the character development, but that can be tolerated. As was the case with the lengthy serialized novels of the 19th century (think Dickens, Tolstoi, Trollope, Balzac), right now we are a captive audience and can tolerate a few extra pages as we kill time hiding out from the latest plague.

No comments: