Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Talking to the family

Every night we end up at the dinner table and ask some version of "how was your day?" or "what did you do/work on/read today?" It is not the most scintillating, but it's hard to break away from.

It occurred to me this morning that -- though Natalie is in the Education Studies program at Yale, not a true major (hers is American Studies). I've never really talked through with her the question of "why education?" I'm 90% sure it is rooted in "social justice" concerns, but that doesn't answer the question of why she thinks education is the best place to move the needle there. I should try to discuss it with her. Not that I doubt it, I'd just be interested to hear her thinking. I think she also likes the idea of acting on a small, local personal scale. Which I get.

Of course, it could be difficult to have the conversation with her without sounding like I am questioning her judgment. I'll work on it. 

Then there's also Graham. I could learn to talk to him better. And Mary.

No comments: