Thursday, January 07, 2021

The Morning After

During the nonsense of the Electoral College certification process in DC yesterday, I was doing my test to tune things out and focus on work. In fact, I had an excellent conversation with a former colleague who shared with me some stories about excellent strides he has made in his life and also explained the rationale behind a technological phenomenon I had recently heard about.

Then I turned back to a news site and saw what was going on at the US Capitol.

This little irruption of reality TV didn't really give me worries about the stability of US Government. If anything, the day's big news from Georgia already signaled the extent to which the Trump fever was breaking, but the siege of the Capitol drove a stake through its heart. Trump's future as a force in US politics gets fainter by the hour.

But I can't help but worry a little about the potential for valuable information to pass into the hands of Russia and its allies as its retained (and it's not unlikely there were some) and unwitting agents coarsed through the Capitol with their smartphones.

But we must take the good with the bad. I will be happy to see Merrick Garland sit in the AG's seat.

No comments: