Saturday, February 29, 2020

Turning of the seasons

Flowers on the trees remind us that spring is just around the corner, as the East Coast makes a desperate last-ditch attempt to pretend that we will have a winter. It is all very disconcerting.

At a client's house the other night, the wife's son, a 28-year old from her first marriage, was getting ready to fly off to Australia to join his brother, after working for 18 months in Baltimore at some medium-shit job, which followed a couple of years of traipsing around Latin America and some time in Japan. His mom said: "at your age I had two kids and (pause, think) was divorced!"

Carolina heads towards the tournament last in the ACC.

Our narratives are changing. Admittedly, I didn't do everything by the book in my career and life arc, strictly speaking, but there was always a plan of sorts. I was gonna be a professor, live lean, and raise kids in a university town, and in some sense I'm not so far from doing that, it's just my job description and institutional affiliation are different.

At this point in time, I feel like my role is to hold things together so that my kids feel like there's enough stability in the home and the world that they can make meaningful plans for the future, and to do as much as I can to make that actually be the case. But it ain't easy. Shit is in flux.

No comments: