Sunday, February 02, 2020

Momentum

After casting about for the next right thing to read -- tried a John McPhee book about the merchant marine that meandered in his typical fashion, then some Lorrie Moore stories that were pretty good but not compelling -- I am picking up steam in Alan Brinkley's biography of Henry Luce -- who was the founder and driving force behind Time, Life, Sports Illustrated, etc. It's a good biography. Mostly, I'm just psyched to have something else to sink my teeth into, and it feels good to read through the large stacks of books that I bring home from used book stores, thrift stores, etc. I am even on a kick to taking books that I have tried to read and then failed and carrying them out of the house to little free libraries, thrift stores, etc, thereby making room on the shelves for other books. Feels great.

Walked into town yesterday to go see Carolina play Boston College at the Dean Dome. We lost. It's a crappy season. In fact, the only two times I've ever gone to games there, we lost. Which is not all bad. It lessens the allure of a pretty expensive habit. The guy sitting next to me was pretty much an idiot. , offering the most inane commentary: "we cain't shoot the ball!" "we gotta get a stop!" Not Crabill, the other guy.

On the walk up I noticed a now-disused small kidney-shaped pool right up close to the street on the west side of Franklin St, between Boundary and Hillsborough. As long as I've lived in this town, that was rather surprising. 

No comments: