Saturday, February 15, 2020

The buzz

In recent weeks I have transitioned from the Saturday morning Al Anon meeting I had been attending for the last seven years or so to an AA meeting at the same time. When I got there, I discovered it was full of people I knew from various places around Chapel Hill, even one from Princeton, which was awesome.

I also added some probiotics to my consumption regime, initially in order to offset the effects of the antibiotics I took when I got bit by a dog, and then I've kept with them for the "gut health" effects, which it turns out means that your poops are better formed than before.

In the mornings, for my first round of reading, focused on spirit, I read some Buddhist stuff for a while, then some Jewish stuff. Of late I have been reading Marcus Aurelius.

I also added meditation into the mix. I could go on.

The common theme in each of these endeavors has been the search for The Buzz of the thing that is The Answer, roughly speaking. The Practice that will bring enduring enlightenment to my life. In each case there is in fact an initial buzz, that wears off slightly over time. What I have to realize is that they are all little steps in what is in fact a process of just getting better, keeping on keeping on without getting discouraged by anything.

As important as anything else is trying to get to bed earlier, something I've been doing with limited success. Also managing down my exposure to airplanes and airports.

Now it is just about time to get Graham off to his martial arts class, with him behind the wheel as he keeps learning to drive. I think today I will have him head out on 40 towards Raleigh. He has been on 40 before, but not in that direction. As long as Carolina isn't playing at home during the day, it ought to be OK.

No comments: