Monday, February 24, 2020

Cruising

Graham's recent mastery of the interstate has opened up new possibilities for our weekend drives. On Saturday it occurred to me that we could very well check out Creedmoor. And so we did.

Someone had told me that Creedmoor had become something of an outer bedroom community for Raleigh. While that may be true for some of the areas south of Creedmoor right along Falls Lake, I saw no evidence of it in Creedmoor proper. I had also gotten to know the former mayor a little bit as he campaigned for a seat in NC's legislature.

So I was a little bit curious. Graham drove us over there, adroitly navigating all the necessary lane changes going around Durham. When we got to Creedmoor, five miles and change off of I-85, we saw pretty quickly that it was a very small town. Just a couple of blocks of downtown. On Main St the only businesses that seemed to be open were a gun store and a Mexican restaurant. There was a pretty shiny Edward Jones office (perhaps the sole data point supporting the thesis that there's some money hiding out around there), and a couple of other old store fronts were undergoing seeming renovations. All in all, I have seen many downtowns which were much more forlorn.

Off the main street there was an excellent-looking chicken and fish place which I definitely wanted to check out, and also a pizza place which held a certain amount of perverse charm. One day.

Graham pulled over and I planted the last Ronnie Chatterji for NC Treasurer yard sign I had. When we got back on 85, I realized that we could take it to Hillsborough and get rid of some of the Amy Fowler yard signs that were clogging up the back of my car. So we did it. And now my car is free and easy, for the time being.

Next week, maybe we'll hit Oxford and Butner. Just to go a little crazy. Or even Yanceyville. Or Graham. Our great state is wide open to us now.

No comments: