Monday, April 02, 2007

Trains to and fro

8:10 AM Metro North express from Larchmont to Grand Central.
In the bar car, standing. All of a sudden a murmur then a mild hubbub at the other end of the car. Above the crowd a pale female hand flails, fishlike, before disappearing. "Get a doctor! Is there a doctor in the car?" comes a cry from the crowd.

I turn and walk towards the other car, bravely leaving my computer bag behind. I open the car door and walk through to the next "Is there a doctor in the house." A woman turns and looks at me. "You should get the conductor," she says. Thanks a lot, bitch. A conductor comes through, takes a quick look, jumps on the intercom and asks for a doctor. A minute or two later a doctor arrives, a man of 5o or so, loping casually, insouciant in twead and entitlement.

By now the wheels are turning. She's awake. Police and EMT will wait for her at 125th. The doctor sidles away.

3:30 PM NJTransit, NE Corridor
I'm in the loudest seat ever. A couple arguing to one side. Some Algerian guys talking loud in French behind me. An Indian family with very cute little girls in front of me (not that loud). And then a woman with a cellphone behind them, talking incessantly: "And then this bitch comes up to me and is like, 'you a bitch,' and I is like, 'I'm not a bitch, bitch'. And she's like, 'yes you is a bitch,' and I'm like 'no, the hell I'm not, bitch!" And this goes on for 20 minutes.

And I'm thinking, I guess this is what the pre-rush hour trains are like. Then I go one car back to use the bathroom and it's totally quiet.

No comments: