Saturday, April 28, 2007

The money thing

So this headhunter calls me up about a job at a certain asset manager that has already spurned me twice, but the headhunters keep calling anyway cuz they don't know that. And he's talking to me about a financial advisor job, which usually I wouldn't consider but this one pays enough money to put it on the map. More than enough.

And so they talk to me blah blah blah and they make me put my resume in their format and write a letter talking about what clubs I'm in and what a jock I am to show that I'm both social and competitive. And after all that's done (net 3ish hours of the Grouse's precious time) the guy is like, "so how much did you make last year," and I tell him, and he's like "ummmm, errrr. Well, that's a problem, cuz they're gonna look at that and say: if he likes money, why hasn't he figured out a way to earn more? This is a job that offers the potential to earn seven figures eventually, and they want people who want that." And I'm like "I'm a friggin Slavist already, gimme a break." And he's like "They look at money as a proxy for aggression." Fact is, I probably don't want this job and I probably won't get it, but this is a diabolical logic: you can't earn more money because you haven't earned it before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain grouser. It must be related to the concept that once your house payment is easy to cover, it's time to get a bigger house. Where the hell is that damn cheese?