Monday, March 28, 2005

Guru on message

Caught a PBS-like chat with a certain Jon Kabat-Zinn on the TV this weekend. The interview started off with the crusty PBS yankee guy asking the bearded Kabat-Zinn: "who was William James?" To which our guest replies: "He was the father of American psychology." And I'm sitting here thinking, he was also Henry James' brother and the father of Pragmatism as a philosophical school, so why sell him short. But as the guy went on and espoused his doctrine of mindfulness and its ramifications and all that, I came to see that he was in fact just a disciplined salesperson, relentlessly on message for his yogic theory of societal enlightenment. The guy was like, I've got 15 minutes up here on the TV and I won't spare a syllable that doesn't sell my product, nebulous though it may be. Impressive

Is he any kin to you, Z?

No comments: