Saturday, July 01, 2023

Trying to resist

As has been my want for some time, today I have endeavored to maintain a relatively disciplined shabbos. It has been about a month since I've had the option to do this at home, what with all the travel and the weekend before that a visit from our good friend David, who was in from Marin County.

As per usual I have a number of things on my task list, but I've worked hard not to look at it too much or take it particularly seriously. I have rather intentionally not read anything directly pertaining to finance or looked at any dollar figures, though one article in The Economist did kind of leap off the page at me. I have left it lying there on the counter in the bathroom. I will read it tomorrow.

After waking up on the late side I headed out for a bike ride in the late morning. Instead of going out Dairyland, as I've been doing a little too regularly this summer, I decided to head south towards Pittsboro on Farrington Mills Road, with the theoretical intent of wending my way as far as Aidan's Trading Post on Jones Ferry. My goal was to embrace the spirit of the summer of '20 with its very long rides with however many stops I needed to make for drinks and, when necessary and/or otherwise warranted, a snack. Unfortunately, first Farrington Mill and then, after a detour through Governor's Village, Farrington Pointe roads were closed on account of, most likely, trees down from the storm the night before. So I was shunted back along Carmel Church Road towards town. I didn't have the heart and stamina to make myself go out towards the country again and ended up clocking a meager 21 miles.

No comments: