Monday, July 17, 2023

Squatting progress

Some years ago Ido Portal brought to my attention the importance of squatting (just body weight) as a basic physical capacity lacking in most of us office people who sit too much. I don't know which video it was that drew my attention, he's made an awful lot of them focused on the basic importance of squatting for humans and Westerners lack of ability to do it.

I started trying to work on my squatting back then, probably around 2013, but never really made much progress, primarily because of discomfort in my knees. Somewhere in there Mark dissuaded me from doing it, speculating that the stress on the joints could be excessive.

Recently I watched a video by another fitness guru woman on YouTube who is also a huge proponent of squatting. Since the exercise is actually kind of perfect for a somewhat lazy person and can be combined with things like toothbrushing, I decided to try to push through and develop my capacity. More recently I'm up to maybe 90-120 seconds max and have been mixing in squats throughout the day. It actually feels great, especially in my glutes and hips.

I'm also trying to incorporate more dead hanging, since many people out there tout its benefits and it looks pretty low risk and also has a staticness that appeals to my lazy side. I haven't been able to extend my hang time that far just yet but I'm working on it. Really I need to find a place to stick a bar in or around my house.

No comments: