Wednesday, July 12, 2023

On Track

Z had to cancel our Wednesday tennis for dinner with his mom and family, if you can believe that shit. Which opened the door to my perhaps going to the Carolina Godiva Wednesday track meet, which I had been pondering. You should know, fair reader, that I gave it due consideration but decided I just wasn't quite ready to head out on a track on a Wednesday night in the heat with no preparation. One problem was the distances. This week they were running a 1500 and a 400 as well as some other things that didn't interest me. I'd like to get baseline times in each of those. Problem is, the 1500 would be first, so I'd be beat by the time I got to the 400. The alternate week they run a 200, an 800 and a mile, in that order which makes more sense to me.

But really the problem is that I don't belong on a track with no preparation whatsoever. So, this evening as I headed around the lake, I briefly considered tacking on the loop through Cedar Falls, which adds about a mile. Instead I decided to go up the track at Phillips and do some light intervals, some 100s, some 200s, just to remind me legs what it's like to sprint for longer than Adam makes me run on a tennis court.

This turned out OK. My legs got their little wake up calls but I had no cramping.

Maybe next time I'm free on a Wednesday I'll go to Godiva.

No comments: