Monday, July 04, 2022

Linklater lives

The other night we were gonna get takeout from a restaurant in Durham which -- because it didn't have capacity to fill the order -- doesn't merit mention by name here on the blog. The only reason I was ordering from there is that I have a gift card.

So we had to come up with a new plan pronto. Mary suggested good pizza (I do love her), so we settled on Pizzeria Napoli in Carrboro, quickly got our orders together, and I dashed off to pick it up.

It was a hot evening here in the southern part of heaven, 88 and humid. Nonetheless I was surprised when -- upon walking through Napoli's charming outdoor seating area -- I espied a scene straight out of Slacker. An 18-20 year old guy was sitting there shirtless and barefoot, in jeans, talking to a couple on the other side of the table, maybe his parents, maybe some slightly older friends who had weed. His hair was long-ish and parted in the middle, his lank torso hairless. I mean, really, Linklater couldn't have dreamt this up. I really wanted to take a picture but it would have been rude. Thank goodness I have a blog.

No comments: