Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Self-restraining shotgun

First off, a quick recap of the tournament. Graham and crew (or, more accurately, Ben MB and crew, which included Graham), took an unexpected 3rd in the National Academic Quiz Tournament, AKA Quiz Bowl. They really outperformed expectations and were at some point in time in there ranked #1. It was pretty thrilling. I can't believe I considered not going.

After and excellent breakfast with my childhood friends George and Eric Dusenbury, Graham and I headed north. We had a fine drive back from Atlanta yesterday, mostly occupying ourselves with the two-part episode of Acquired on Standard Oil and John D Rockefeller. On the way down we had listened to Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, partly to familiarize him with the plot in case it was a question in a Quiz Bowl round. A good if not great book.

There was very little traffic, praise the lord. As I had on the way down, I put Graham behind the wheel for a couple of hours. For this leg I was more successful in sitting on my hands and letting him make his own decisions. A couple of times he got closer to the car in front of me than would have been ideal, a few times we found ourselves going 48 in the right hand lane behind some truck going up a hill. For the most part, I let him draw his own conclusions.

No comments: