Monday, May 16, 2022

Burnt out but need to burn

Had my alarm set for 7:10 this morning but didn't actually get up till 7:45. It was a long weekend of cleaning and then hosting the robotics end of season party, not just of the inside of the house but also the porch and deck. The irony was that in the end, people were super-observant of the COVID restriction and almost no one ventured into the house, immaculate though it was.


There was a moment when I enlisted Graham's help in putting back the upper sashes of the windows in the living room when I explained to him my limited comprehension of how the damned things work, and he remarked that the spring-loaded mechanism was not unlike one of the designs they had considered for the robot. It made me wonder whether I should have been getting him more involved all this time in the variety of tasks I do around the house. Of course, part of the problem is that I am in fact not Mr Fix-it so I am so often reminding myself of how things work or just trying to figure it out myself. Maybe that's in fact how most people are. I think I'm just a little fixated on the idea of him leaving, for some strange reason.

The food at the party was ridiculous. Egg rolls, ribs, chicken, plus some vegetarian Indian stuff. The most amazing carrot cake ever from Nathan's girl Dharma.

Then after going out for a bike ride I was about to hop in the outdoor shower when I saw some shadowy figures moving on bikes through the woods. One of them I recognized as Woody, who's often passing through with one or the other of his kids; the last in line was Crabill, who stopped in for an outdoor shower and helped us eat some of our party leftovers.

I awoke tipping the scales at just shy of 181, up from a pandemic low of 168. Sigh.

No comments: