Saturday, May 14, 2022

A brief interlude of calm

In 27 hours we will be hosting the end of season robotics party, which means that shortly Mary will likely come up here and want to talk about the things that need to be done first. I have the makings of a list in my head already (get most recent deposit of pollen off the stuff on the deck, get tables from LFA shed down by the lake, clean off stacked plastic chairs down in the basement and array in the flat parts of the back yard, clean toilets, get Graham to clean room, wash windows, clean out fireplace, more or less in that order).

Meanwhile it's calm, the air is pretty cool, up the hill I can hear Judy's chickens clucking. 

I have started to think more and more about a book. Right now I'm thinking the focus should be on public and private goods and how they are funded/delivered (insourcing/DIY vs. personal savings vs. bank loans vs. capital markets (equity vs. debt) vs. taxing and spending by public entities (local, state [or province], or Federal) and how that changes over time and space. It's also necessary to think about risk management spending in this context. I.e. how much time and effort is spent on paying for something to be done vs. preventing the need for it in the first place (risk avoidance and mitigation) vs. aggregating spend (risk transfer).

Obviously it's a big question set. I nibble around the edges of it all the time here on the blog. I may have to try to sort it out somewhere in the 250-300 page mode. I don't think it's worth writing an academic magnum opus that answers all the questions, but it is worth trying to frame them in an interesting way that facilitates discussion.

No comments: