Tuesday, March 01, 2022

The luxury of home

Of late I've been trying to coax a friend to finish up a project, occasionally with a touch of impatience. Mostly my problem. Saw him today and was delighted, and I was reminded of my friend Katja, originally from Kiev, currently living in Tbilisi after spending time in Tartu, New York, Moscow, Berlin and sometimes jetting around the world in support of an award-winning book. I wrote about our comparative situations a few years back.

Back then she just wasn't living in her hometown. Now it's not clear if she ever will be able to and, per a message I just got back from her, she has family members who are currently far from safe. I, by contrast, am in continual contact with people I've known for many decades all the time, which I am aware is an incredible gift and luxury. Events of the last week remind me more than ever that it's something we cannot take for granted, something that's been fought for and earned by others. Let's hope we don't need to do it again on a grand scale.  

No comments: