Thursday, March 17, 2022

Dreams of New York

Last night I dreamt that I was in New York. The first night I was there I stayed in my old building on Claremont Avenue in the apartment of my friend Jill (she is actually, in fact, in Moscow now. She says she is not leaving because it is now her home, though she like any educated Muscovite is horrified by what is going on). Out on the street, it appeared to me that the cross street between Claremont and Broadway had the wrong name (it is actually LaSalle) and that a small building on the north side of that street was missing. I was discussing this with someone else there in the dream.

I decided to move on and go down and stay the next night down at the Yale Club near Grand Central. I have never joined the Yale Club -- it seems too expensive -- but over the years as I tire of being a guest in other peoples' small NY homes it becomes more attractive. In my dream I was also not a member, but I sneaked back to where the rooms are and changed my clothes in one of the rooms and then was heading out front to see if I could talk them into letting me stay a night or two on a test basis before becoming a member. I actually dream about this kind of thing. It crossed my mind in my dream that I might run into a client who is a regular reader of the blog and who sometimes retreats to the library there through an agreement with the UVA alumni club, which was a very nice dream-thought.

There's no doubt but that this dream was motivated by a meeting we had yesterday in which I and one of the partners in my firm -- together with a prospect who could be large for us. Things seem at last to be turning a corner to where my business will grow in without my needing to do everything, where we might see some real synergies -- to use that dread word. I will take it. 

No comments: