Thursday, March 31, 2022

Gong south

Bobby and I had breakfast at the Breakaway Cafe today, since I had a coupon for a free breakfast sandwich. Pretty good, though it pales beside what you can get at Deli Edison, so I recommend going north on that front. I liked the place, though, and the trip was enhanced by the fact that, after I waited for the bathroom for a little while, the person who came out was former Tar Heel great Kendall Marshall. A celebrity sighting!

Afterwards I took a half an hour to drive down to Pittsboro to check things out. Not surprisingly, lots of development going on, including some substantial apartment buildings or condos near the school at the south end of Briar Chapel. Multifamily is greatly welcome.

But I was also very surprised when I drove back into the core commercial area of Chatham Park. The Root Cellar had been there for a long time but it was closed when I went by. I quick Google shows me that it has been rebranded "Cafe Root Cellar" and is open Friday and Saturday 4-8 pm only. That's crazy. Shouldn't even pay the rent with those hours.

I have to assume the issue is staffing the place, and/or maybe demand that is slow in coming because they are having trouble building out Chatham Park, again because of lack of people. Politicians need to shut the fuck up about "jobs." That is last decade's problem. We need people, and housing. There's a chicken/egg problem here for sure.

Gotta go cook dinner. 

No comments: