Thursday, March 11, 2021

Walking

I've been reading Walter Isaacson's bio of Steve Jobs for the last week and change. It's a good book, though Isaacson is a far cry from Robert Caro. Much of the Jobs story I already knew just because he's just loomed so large as a pop phenom CEO for so long, such a big personality, such a master of media and marketing, etc. Also Apple makes good products I guess, though I'm not a member of the cult, I have surely benefited from a fast follower strategy as others have run with balls he put in motion.

In any case, one of Jobs' favorite things was to have walking business meetings. Which is a good idea. Walking gets the blood flowing and it also keeps me away from restaurants, where I am more likely to eat things like french fries. I have never mastered the art of ordering the salad.

So yesterday I went for a walk with a colleague with whom I've had the occasional kerfuffle and with whom I haven't spent as much time as would be optimal through the pandemic. We had a good and productive discussion. That's all you need to know.

And we continued to explore the portion of Duke Forest that can be accessed from the Hollow Rock Park lot off of Erwin Road. It's beautiful down there, along the stream, even rising up large hill to a spot where, with the leaves off of the trees, there's an actual overlook. Natalie and I had checked it out in late January before she went back to New Haven but I hadn't gone as deep into it as we did yesterday. Excellent spot.

No comments: