Sunday, March 28, 2021

Sunday morning preparations

Headed out on a college trip with Mary and Graham and I need to get packed, but before doing so a few words. Headed to DC, MD and PA. Watching the coronavirus numbers rise in the Northeast makes me mildly apprehensive about the trip, but given that we will be in the Prius or on foot outdoors when not sleeping in hotels and that Mary and Graham will be there helping me enforce discipline (both of them are very mindful of rules) I think we should be OK. Though it will be tiresome to eat lots of meals in the car.

If only they were a little more proactive and imaginative in thinking up podcasts and books to listen to while we drive. Planning non-essential stuff isn't their strong suit (Mary is very good at the essentials).

A note on yesterday. With Z having taken Lucas to the beach, I was on my own for tennis, so I reached out to Ruchir, who was busy, but said that this guy Patrick was looking for someone to play at 11. So we played.

He played very well in warm-ups, hitting hard and deep ground strokes with topspin, mixing it up with some slices. So I'm thinking that I'm playing up and this will be a good growth opportunity. Then we start playing and he's slicing 90% of the time and I make a bunch of unforced errors and am down 2-0, and am very close to going down 3-0 before I realize that I'm playing him as if he were Adam, but he's not. I need to back off, run everything down and help him make mistakes. So I did that for the rest of the set and ended up losing 7-6 (something like 11-9 in the tiebreak).

Good times. It was a very good lesson in how not to beat myself mentally.

No comments: