Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Me and my big mouth

A non-profit on whose board I serve has some financial challenges (which doesn't?).  Legislation promulgated after another scandal won't let it pay its Executive Director properly (the E.D. is an MD), and its primary client, a division of the state of NC, is way behind in paying its bills. And there's other little stuff, mostly about cash flow and political challenges to the organization's ability to diversify its funding streams. I won't bore you with it.

The key thing is this: we haven't been good or aggressive about asking for money and building a donor base, and partly that's a function of not having learned to tell the organization's story. So I had the great idea of kicking off a fundraising campaign at the organization's big conference, which is in 5 weeks. And, in yesterday's board meeting, I led the discussion and said that the drive should be led by the Board, and that a member of the Board should address the conference. I was of course thinking that the Chairman would be the best person, as he has been leading the Board for many years now. But it turns out he has to go to Africa on work.

So guess who gets to make the speech?  If you guessed me, you win.

So, over the next five weeks or so, I have a fair amount of learning to do so I can make a rousing speech. I also need to get myself a new suit, something I have been meaning to do. I just hate going to the mall.

I also may end up calling up some individuals to ask for money, so don't be shocked if I call you.

No comments: